Design for Equity, Design for All
A blueprint for teachers to alter the all-too-predictable outcomes for our historically under-served students.
Leverage Your Power to Make Change
It’s educators who design students’ learning experiences, who build student relationships, who ultimately have the power to change the trajectory of our students’ lives.
Incorporate Social Justice into Your Curriculum Development
Through the research-based foundation and practical applications, you'll rethink your practices, self-reflect, and gain the tools to design your curriculum.
How the Course Works
- Review the Syllabus
- Watch the video introducing each module
- Dive deeper into the content. Review readings and resources, the key is to self-differentiate. Choose what works best for you and helps you better understand the content and engage with the lesson
- Post to the discussion board, interact with your classmates if you choose to, and make connections
- Taking the course for grad credit? Complete a final project for feedback
- Receive your completion certificate for 45 continuing education hours or 3 graduate-level continuing education credits (as applicable)
- Equity By Design: Delivering on the Power and Promise of UDL by Mirko Chardin and Katie Novak, EdD
- Additional materials included in the course
Mirko Chardin is the Founding Head of School of the Putnam Avenue Upper School in Cambridge, MA. Mirko’s work has involved all areas of school management and student support. His greatest experience and passion revolves around culturally connected teaching and learning, recruiting and retaining educators of color, restorative practice, and school culture. He delivers keynotes across the nation on equity, social justice, and personal narrative. He is also a race, diversity, and cultural proficiency facilitator and leadership coach for the Aspire Institute at Boston University’s New Wheelock College of Human Development. He is a principal mentor for the Perone-Sizer Creative Leadership Institute, a Trustee at Wheaton College, and an active hip-hop artist. @MirkoMilk
Katie Novak, Ed.D. is an internationally renowned education consultant and co-author of Innovate Inside the Box with George Couros. With 17 years of experience in teaching and administration, an earned doctorate in curriculum and teaching, and seven published books, Katie designs and presents workshops both nationally and internationally focusing on the implementation of inclusive practices, Universal Design for Learning (UDL), multi-tiered systems of support, and universally designed leadership. Novak’s work has impacted educators worldwide as her contributions and collaborations have built upon the foundation for an educational framework that is critical for student success.